Countdown is on to NSPCC’s Big Packed Lunch
- Credit: Archant
The countdown is on to the NSPCC’s Big Packed Lunch – with the Reporter backing the charity’s call for people in Saffron Walden to get involved.
The nationwide event is due to take place next month in a bid to raise vital funds for the NSPCC’s ChildLine Schools Service being delivered in local primary schools.
Helen Marriner, area coordinator for the NSPCC’s ChildLine Schools Service in Essex, said: “We want you to get involved in the Big Packed Lunch on September 17 to support the ChildLine School Service so that we can deliver this to all local primary schools. By donating money you would normally spend on buying lunch, you are playing your part to help safeguard local children.”
Helen, who recently took over the role of area coordinator as part of a roll out of the service in Essex, added: “My family and friends often comment on my ‘quirky’ choice of sandwich fillings (apparently peanut butter and tomatoes should never meet) so I will be taking part in a ‘who has the quirkiest sandwich filling’ lunch whereby we share our sandwiches to decide whose is the best, or worst as the case may be.
“Most children that call ChildLine are over the age of 11 years old, and we know that younger children are often the most vulnerable. The Schools Service is committed to providing younger children in Years 5 and 6 an age appropriate understating of abuse, how to protect themselves and access help through ChildLine and other sources.”
You may also want to watch:
This is the first year NSPCC’s ChildLine Schools Service is being rolled out in Essex. With 470 primary schools in the county and 30,599 children to talk to, the NSPCC needs people in Saffron Walden to sign up to the Big Packed Lunch so it can reach all the schools.
Helen said: “We are looking at ways to develop local partnerships with the Essex community to expand on our volunteer front. If you would like to get involved volunteering and join Buddy and me in and around Essex do not hesitate to contact me on 07826 893664.”
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
To find out more and to get your Big Packed Lunch fundraising pack, visit nspcc.org.uk/lunch.