Couple who won �148 millon on the EuroMillions are named
THE couple who scooped the second biggest lottery win in UK history were named this week.
Adrian and Gillian Bayford held a press conference at Down Hall in Hatfield Heath on Tuesday (Aug 14) to reveal their plans for the future after winning a whooping �148 million in the EuroMillions draw.
Mr Bayford, 41, who co-owns the Suffolk Music Centre in Haverhill, and his healthcare assistant wife, 40, were the only winners of Friday’s draw.
Mr Bayford said he was watching the film The Bank Job on Friday before turning over to see one ticket had scooped nearly �150m.
Mr Bayford said: “Scrolling along the bottom of the screen was the news that one person had won EuroMillions but Gillian confessed that she hadn’t had time to get a ticket.
You may also want to watch:
“As a joke, I also said neither had I when in fact I had five lines upstairs waiting to be checked. Gradually the numbers seemed to match-up with those on my ticket and I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing!
“I rushed back and turned on the main light at which point Gillian went ballistic!
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
The pair have been married eight years and have two young children - a daughter aged six and a four-year-old son.
The windfall has propelled the couple from Haverhill into Britain’s top 1,000 richest people, alongside the likes of the world’s wealthiest chef Jamie Oliver and former Beatle Ringo Starr, who both have fortunes estimated at around �150m.
The ticket is UK’s second biggest lottery win behind Ayrshire couple Colin and Chris Weir, who scooped �161.6m in July 2011.
A National Lottery spokeswoman said: “We are looking forward to welcoming the ticket-holder into our millionaires club, joining the 2,900 millionaires created by the National Lottery to date.”