Cowell takes the X-Factor to China
A RELATIVE of television's Simon Cowell is looking to take the X-Factor to China. Elmodon student Geraldine Cowell is preparing to embark on a trek along the Great Wall of China in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
AN ELMDON student is looking for the X-Factor as she prepares to embark on a trek along the Great Wall of China.
Geraldine Cowell - a relative of television's Simon Cowell - is doing the walk in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
"I think walking along the Great Wall of China is a big impact in that sense and it should hopefully be an amazing experience," said Geraldine.
"Simon is my mum's cousin and he has sponsored me, as has his brother. He is very supportive of anything to do with charities."
You may also want to watch:
Geraldine is doing the walk in memory of her aunt, who died of the disease in October and was looked after by Macmillan Cancer Support.
"Cancer has been a big factor in the lives of my family and friends over the last 10 years," said Geraldine.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
"My cousin and great aunt have also had cancer but thankfully they have recovered, while my best friend's mum is in the early stages.
"Macmillan has been so good to my family though such hard times and I needed a way to pay back all the good work that they do."
Geraldine, an Archaeology student at Leicester University, needs �2500 to take part in the 10-day, 63km challenge. She is almost there with �2300 raised.
To sponsor her logon to her Just Giving website page at justgiving.com/geraldinecowell
Macmillan Cancer Support improves the lives of people affected by cancer, providing practical, medical, emotional and financial support. Working alongside people affected by cancer, Macmillan works to improve cancer care.
For more information about Macmillan Cancer Support, visit www.macmillan.org.uk or freephone 0800 500 800 for an information pack.