Spate of keying incidents 'ruin' New Year's Day for Saffron Walden drivers
- Credit: Oliver Pottrill-Holland
A police investigation is underway in Saffron Walden into a number of cars being 'keyed'.
Lines and rude words have been carved on to vehicles in Swan Meadow car park and parked in the Rowntree Way area.
Vandals are thought to have scored the words 'Barry Boy' on to a door of a Renault in the car park overnight on December 31.
Some of the damage resembles 'keying', when a person drags a key along a painted surface.
A Mercedes driver found his back windscreen wiper had been pulled back, and a picture shows an Audi's fuel cap on the ground at Swan Meadow car park.
One car owner, who wanted to remain anonymous, said that having his car damaged ruined New Year celebrations.
He said: "The incident destroyed my New Year's Day, and will definitely have a financial impact.
- 1 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 2 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 3 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 6 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 7 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Post Office: change of location in Newport
"I am someone who takes great care of their car, and I feel frustrated every time I look at it now.
"I say proudly to friends that Saffron Walden is a great town to live in, and that it is calm with very low crime rates.
"Then this happens!
"I don't know what anyone can do to be completely safe."
He added that claiming on his insurance could have a long-term financial impact, so will look into repairing the damage at his own expense.
Essex Police is investigating four incidents in the town and has launched an appeal for information.
An Essex Police spokesperson said: "We are investigating four reports of criminal damage which took place overnight between December 31, 2021 and January 1, 2022 (New Year's Eve and New Year's Day).
"The reports were all made to us on January 1 and took place in Swan Meadow car park, in New Pond Lane, Saffron Walden.
"No arrests have been made and our enquiries are ongoing."
Police are collecting information about the incidents online at https://www.essex.police.uk/.
Essex Police said witnesses can use the 'Live Chat' facility or file a report using the crime reference number 42/607/22.
Alternatively, information can be given over the phone on 101, or via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.