Crowds turn out for fete fun
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday. Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field. Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: It was
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday.
Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field.
Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: "It was just fantastic how many people and especially children came along to enjoy the day.
"There were queues all the way along the road - I don't think a fete has been this busy since the one opened by Jamie Oliver eight years ago.
"It was a typical old-fashioned fete and a real fun day out for the whole family in Clavering."
Visitors enjoyed a range of activities including a strong man competition, Morris dancing, bouncy castles and lots of other rides for children. Traditional craft stalls were mixed in with candyfloss stalls ensuring that there was something for everybody.
- 1 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 4 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 5 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 6 Stansted Airport boss confident that passenger numbers will rally
- 7 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
One of the main draws of this year's fete was the scarecrow competition which inspired people in the village to come up with new and interesting ideas for scarecrows.