Crowds turn out for fete fun
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday. Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field. Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: It was
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday.
Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field.
Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: "It was just fantastic how many people and especially children came along to enjoy the day.
"There were queues all the way along the road - I don't think a fete has been this busy since the one opened by Jamie Oliver eight years ago.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a typical old-fashioned fete and a real fun day out for the whole family in Clavering."
Visitors enjoyed a range of activities including a strong man competition, Morris dancing, bouncy castles and lots of other rides for children. Traditional craft stalls were mixed in with candyfloss stalls ensuring that there was something for everybody.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 3 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 7 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 8 When Covid-19 restrictions lift, will we ever shake hands again?
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
One of the main draws of this year's fete was the scarecrow competition which inspired people in the village to come up with new and interesting ideas for scarecrows.