Crowds turn out for fete fun
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday. Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field. Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: It was
AN ASSORTMENT of different scarecrows did not scare away a record crowd from a village fete on Bank Holiday Monday.
Almost 5000 people turned up to the Clavering Village Fete held at 2pm on the Jubilee Field.
Impressed visitor Peter Blomley said: "It was just fantastic how many people and especially children came along to enjoy the day.
"There were queues all the way along the road - I don't think a fete has been this busy since the one opened by Jamie Oliver eight years ago.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a typical old-fashioned fete and a real fun day out for the whole family in Clavering."
Visitors enjoyed a range of activities including a strong man competition, Morris dancing, bouncy castles and lots of other rides for children. Traditional craft stalls were mixed in with candyfloss stalls ensuring that there was something for everybody.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 6 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 7 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 8 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
One of the main draws of this year's fete was the scarecrow competition which inspired people in the village to come up with new and interesting ideas for scarecrows.