Daunt Books to open its first independent bookshop outside of London in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
A London-based independent bookseller is set to open its first branch outside of the capital in Saffron Walden later this year.
Daunt Books, who have seven shops in London, will use the name Hart’s Bookshop for its new venture after coming to an agreement with W Hart and Son, whose own bookshop closed in the town in 2007.
The new shop will be based at 26 King Street, the former site of audio specialists Chew and Osborne, which is next door to Hart’s Yard - the original birthplace of Hart’s in Saffron Walden in 1836.
Brett Wolstencroft, manager of Daunt Books in Marylebone, said: “Saffron Walden is not really our territory but after viewing the premises and experiencing the town, we realised it would make a really lovely bookshop.
“We’re pleased to be able to use the name Hart also, a name which is synonymous with books in the town, and we’re really excited about the opening.
You may also want to watch:
“We are not a chain, and will therefore be able to stock the sorts of books that local people will want, and become a part of the community.”
Mr Wolstencroft added Daunt would look locally for its staff and that he hoped Hart’s Bookshop would open by April.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 6 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 7 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 8 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 9 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 10 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
Martin Turnbull, managing director of W Hart & Son said: “I am delighted we have been able to help in the re-establishment of an independent bookseller in the heart of Saffron Walden.
“We were very sad at the closure of our bookshop in 2007, so it is very exciting to be able to witness the rebirth of a genuine bookshop.”
Harts Business Solutions will continue to operate independently from Shire Hill.