Debden one step closer to new village hall with help from council grant
- Credit: Archant
The group campaigning to build a new village hall in Debden has received a grant of £3,500 from Uttlesford District Council towards the project’s costs.
The group has also collected £202 over a single weekend, with boxes outside Tesco Express at the Old Crocus Pub in Saffron Walden.
Spokesman for the group, April Gardner said: “The council grant will be for final preliminary costs. This money will be instrumental in tying up the last fees and survey costs that we need to complete before the build starts.
“I was thrilled with the amount we raised at the Tesco collection, £64 was collected in just two and a half hours on Sunday afternoon.”
She added: “All the customers who donated their spare change were interested in why we were collecting. They asked questions about the hall and were friendly and generous. We all enjoyed chatting to them and it was a chance to create more awareness.
“Many people already knew about Debden Village Hall and our efforts to raise money to build a new one, which just goes to show that news travels.
“We want to say a big thank you to everyone who supported us, including the store and deputy managers and staff, especially Debbie Waldorf who has been the main point of contact and was instrumental in helping to arrange the collection through the store’s head office.
- 1 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 2 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 5 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 6 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
”We are also very grateful to Sue Hayden and the committee on the Uttlesford District Council Community Grant Scheme.”
Follow Debden Village Hall’s fundraising progress on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DebdenNewMemorialHall