Delay for second runway at Stansted Airport
AIRPORT owners BAA have said that the opening of a second runway at Stansted, if granted permission, would be delayed by two years.BAA had expected the runway to open in 2015 but said a fall in passenger numbers and new calculated forecasts showed it wou
AIRPORT owners BAA have said that the opening of a second runway at Stansted, if granted permission, would be delayed by two years.
BAA had expected the runway to open in 2015 but said a fall in passenger numbers and new calculated forecasts showed it would now not be necessary until 2017.
The company had expected its current runway permission of 35 million passengers a year to be reached sooner.
However, it stressed the long-term expansion of the airport would continue and air travel would increase as anticipated by government.
You may also want to watch:
Campaign group Stop Stansted Expansion said the latest delay was just another excuse and called on BAA to abandon the project.
SSE economics adviser, Brian Ross, said: "It is wholly unacceptable for BAA to try to keep its options open by continuing to postpone the threat of a second runway. It should remove the threat once and for all.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 7 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 8 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 9 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 10 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage