Delay for second runway at Stansted Airport
AIRPORT owners BAA have said that the opening of a second runway at Stansted, if granted permission, would be delayed by two years.BAA had expected the runway to open in 2015 but said a fall in passenger numbers and new calculated forecasts showed it wou
AIRPORT owners BAA have said that the opening of a second runway at Stansted, if granted permission, would be delayed by two years.
BAA had expected the runway to open in 2015 but said a fall in passenger numbers and new calculated forecasts showed it would now not be necessary until 2017.
The company had expected its current runway permission of 35 million passengers a year to be reached sooner.
However, it stressed the long-term expansion of the airport would continue and air travel would increase as anticipated by government.
You may also want to watch:
Campaign group Stop Stansted Expansion said the latest delay was just another excuse and called on BAA to abandon the project.
SSE economics adviser, Brian Ross, said: "It is wholly unacceptable for BAA to try to keep its options open by continuing to postpone the threat of a second runway. It should remove the threat once and for all.
- 1 Tools collection is a huge success
- 2 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 6 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 7 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 8 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
- 9 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
- 10 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision