Detectives release CCTV image of hooded man holding kitchen knife in queue before attempted robbery at Thaxted post office
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have issued a CCTV image of a man who queued in a post office before attempting to carry out a robbery.
The hooded suspect, who was armed with a kitchen knife, waited behind two other customers before threatening staff at Thaxted post office in High Street. He fled empty-handed soon afterwards.
Other customers were not aware that the man had pulled his top half over his face and that he was holding a long-bladed knife at his side, but the CCTV image clearly shows the weapon.
Investigating officers now hope that although the man tried to conceal his identity someone could name him or may have seen him hanging around beforehand or running away from the post office. The incident happened at about 1pm on Wednesday, May 21.
DS Becky Young of Braintree CID said: “We have carried out extensive enquiries but we have not been able to establish the identify of this man.
You may also want to watch:
“He was clearly quite calm enough to queue behind other customers but luckily he appears to have lost his nerve when he tried to threaten staff.
“There is no doubt that he is a dangerous person who is prepared to carry a long-bladed kitchen knife for use in a robbery and we want to catch him before he can attempt this sort of crime again.”
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
Anyone who can identify the man from the CCTV image or anyone who remembers him waiting in the area or running away should contact officers at Braintree CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.