Dino Martens jug sells for �6,000
A HIGHLY collectable glass jug, indentified by eagle-eyed staff at Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers, was the highlight of a specialist sale, selling for almost �6,000.
The owner entered the unusual jug, pictured, into one of the regular weekly sales but before the auction could take place, the item was spotted by a member of staff who recognised its significance.
Careful research revealed it was by the Italian artist Dino Martens, former artistic director of Aureliano Toso, the famous Venetian glass works.
Sworders’ Managing Director, Guy Schooling, said: “This is an exceptionally unusual piece of work by Dino Marten as it is such a distinctive shape. It dates from the mid-20th Century and very few of them have been offered for sale in this country.
“In fact, we could find only three examples that have ever sold in the UK, so we were not certain how it would be received. Nevertheless, having recognised its importance, we were able to put it into our Decorative Art and Design Sale, in order to reach a specialist audience.
“We weren’t disappointed. Bidding started at �700, but with interest on the phone and via the internet, it finally sold to an online bidder in Germany for �5,800.”
The sale also saw a collection of five rare lithograph prints of submarines by official war artist Eric Ravilious go under the hammer. The prints had been found pushed down the side of a bed in north London by the owners who were also not aware of their significance. The collection sold for a total of �13,900.
- 1 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 2 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 4 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 10 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
Mr Schooling added: “This is exactly where a specialist auction comes into its own. Our targeted sales attract collectors, enthusiasts and dealers from across the world, which means that high quality esoteric pieces such as this can be sold for top prices.”