Director of Liberty Shami Chakrabarti gives talk to Saffron Walden students
DIRECTOR of pressure group Liberty, Shami Chakrabarti, visited Friends’ School to speak to students about her work and the different challenges the organisation faces.
Ms Chakrabarti explained that Liberty believes that each and every person is special and every human being is entitled to the protection of equality under the law.
She joined Liberty 10 years ago, an organisation since it’s foundation in 1934, which is at the heart of the movement for fundamental rights and freedoms in England and Wales.
Year 11 and sixth form students enjoyed the opportunity to ask Ms Chakrabarti questions and hear her views on topical issues and current stories in the news, both during the talk and a smaller lunch time discussion group.
Deputy headteacher at Friends’, Anna Chaudhri, said: “The values which Liberty and Ms Chakrabarti promote, such as individual human dignity and equal treatment and fairness is an area which is very close to our hearts in a Quaker school.
You may also want to watch:
“Our students were able to see a connection between the Quaker principles of equality, tolerance and the belief that each person is unique and Ms Chakrabarti’s message about the importance of ordinary people being entitled to human rights under the law.”
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 6 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues