Discover mermaids, dragons and unicorns in Essex’s summer reading challenge
- Credit: Archant
Children can venture into the world of mythology and discover a mermaid, dragon and unicorn in this year’s “Mythical Maze” Summer Reading Challenge at libraries across Essex.
Over the summer holidays, children will be set the challenge to read six books. They will get a sticker for each book they read and a medal when they have read all six.
To add to the fun, they will also be able to search the mythological creatures in libraries, scan them in on smart phones or tablets and watch them come to life.
Councillor John Jowers, cabinet member for libraries, communities and planning, said: “In 2013, 44,000 children in Essex took part in the Summer Reading Challenge, improving reading skills and confidence and having a great time sharing books and celebrating their achievements.
“We want to encourage even more children to take part in this fantastic free summer activity in 2014.”
Mythical Maze is aimed at children aged three to 12, with a special early years version for babies and toddlers.
Those aged 10 and over can choose to take part in ImagiNation, a regional project combining reading and arts activities, designed by local young people and supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 Stansted Airport calls for residents' views on solar transformation plan
- 3 Saffron Walden County High School student launches campaign for a 'Quiet Room'
- 4 Will there be a White Christmas in Essex this year?
- 5 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 6 Saffron Walden a contender in Britain's Favourite Market vote
- 7 Music therapy top honour includes Walden's Together in Sound
- 8 Advent begins in Saffron Walden on Sunday
- 9 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 10 Students bring cheer to senior citizens through Christmas Buddy Scheme
Both challenges are free to join and start on Saturday, July 19 but many libraries will be having an early joiners day on Saturday, July 12. It lasts until Wednesday, September 3.
The activity this year has been designed by Sarah McIntyre, children’s book illustrator, known for titles such as ‘There’s a shark in the bath’.
For more information about what the Summer Reading Challenge, visit essex.gov.uk.