Discover mermaids, dragons and unicorns in Essex’s summer reading challenge
- Credit: Archant
Children can venture into the world of mythology and discover a mermaid, dragon and unicorn in this year’s “Mythical Maze” Summer Reading Challenge at libraries across Essex.
Over the summer holidays, children will be set the challenge to read six books. They will get a sticker for each book they read and a medal when they have read all six.
To add to the fun, they will also be able to search the mythological creatures in libraries, scan them in on smart phones or tablets and watch them come to life.
Councillor John Jowers, cabinet member for libraries, communities and planning, said: “In 2013, 44,000 children in Essex took part in the Summer Reading Challenge, improving reading skills and confidence and having a great time sharing books and celebrating their achievements.
“We want to encourage even more children to take part in this fantastic free summer activity in 2014.”
You may also want to watch:
Mythical Maze is aimed at children aged three to 12, with a special early years version for babies and toddlers.
Those aged 10 and over can choose to take part in ImagiNation, a regional project combining reading and arts activities, designed by local young people and supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
Both challenges are free to join and start on Saturday, July 19 but many libraries will be having an early joiners day on Saturday, July 12. It lasts until Wednesday, September 3.
The activity this year has been designed by Sarah McIntyre, children’s book illustrator, known for titles such as ‘There’s a shark in the bath’.
For more information about what the Summer Reading Challenge, visit essex.gov.uk.