Domino’s Pizza takeaway bid for Great Dunmow is rejected
- Credit: Archant
DOMINO’S has been warned not to appeal a decision which has prevented the pizza delivery takeaway chain from moving into one of Dunmow’s residential streets.
Uttlesford District Council’s planning committee yesterday (Wednesday) quashed plans for an outlet to move into an office building on Station Road.
Resident Jon Worby, who lives yards from the site, told the Broadcast after the meeting: “We urge Domino’s not to appeal. They should go away, find another site and leave us alone. We will fight again.”
Despite the application being recommended for approval by officers, the committee voted against the fast-food chain, which would have been open until 11pm, seven days a week.
The pizza delivery giant wanted to change the use of the building from offices and in proposals said there would be up to nine parking spaces as well as new windows and entrance.
Bob Jenkins, a resident of Station Road, said: “The sense of relief is huge. I cannot describe in words how relieved I am.
“It was as if our lives had been put on hold because it was a completely inappropriate development in a residential area. We feel we have got our area back.”
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 9 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 10 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
Dunmow councillor Vic Ranger proposed to vote against the recommendation and Cllr Keith Mackman seconded it.
Cllr Ranger felt the takeaway would have had numerous detrimental affects on the area and the people who live there – including a potential increase in crime – and said the proposal was not a good one for the neighbourhood.
He said: “I have heard nothing and I have read nothing in the further information that changes my mind. This application should be refused.”
One of the key issues that arose was an increase in congestion and parking. Mr Worby, addressing the committee, said cars are constantly parked on both sides of the road and suggested the increased flow of traffic of employees delivering food and customers picking up was “dangerous”.
Chartered surveyor Richard Unwin, speaking for Domino’s, tried to convince the committee otherwise.
He said: “We want to be in Great Dunmow. We think it is a very good town and we have a big contribution to make.”
He assured the committee that, despite worries, crime was not common at the company’s outlets. “In this case silence is golden,” he added.
A spokesman for Domino’s said the company was “bitterly disappointed” that the application was turned down and insisted that there was “a very strong case” to bring a new store to Great Dunmow.
Councillors voted 10 to none against the application. Three members abstained.