Don’s of Dunmow save the day with a ‘fantastic’ trip
- Credit: Archant
Christmas cheer was in abundance when pensioners finally got the festive trip they had been denied.
A group of over 60s, most of them members of a social club at Banks Court, visited Rochester on December 14. It came after they had forked out £109 for a weekend trip to Blackpool in October, only to be left disappointed when the event was cancelled and they lost their money.
The Broadcast approached Don’s of Dunmow following the incident and the coach company was happy to treat the group to a free coach trip to the Kent town. They were delighted.
Jean Williams, 72, said: “We just want to say a big ‘thank you’ to Don’s for taking us on the free trip and to the Broadcast for publishing our story.
“We visited the cathedral and looked round the shops. It was a wonderful day.”
You may also want to watch:
Derek Gypps added: “It was brilliant – Don’s did us proud. They decorated the coach, laid on drinks, mince pies and sausage rolls, and entertained us on the way there and back. They even held a raffle and sourced all the prizes.
“Rochester is a lovely little place and there was plenty to do.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
Warren Bolden, from the coach company, was pleased that “smiles had been put back on their faces”. He told the Broadcast: “We sang Christmas songs on the bus, it was brilliant. When we were coming home they all said how fantastic it was and thanked us.”
The coach company is now looking to put on a trip to Blackpool next year for the pensioners.
? A spokesman for Essex Police confirmed investigations are ongoing into an allegation of fraud against the organiser of the Blackpool trip.