Downton Abbey and Casualty stars help raise charity cash at Ickleton comedy night
- Credit: Archant
A comedy night in Ickleton hosted by Downton Abbey actress, Emma Lownes and her partner, Casualty star Jason Merrells, has raised nearly £5,000 for Syrian refugee children.
The money will be donated to the charity War Child.
The evening, on Saturday December 5, also included comedy from members of Cambridge University’s Footlights Club and Edinburgh Festival award-winning duo, Hannah Croft and Fiona Pearce.
Organiser, Sarah Mila, from the village, said: “A fantastic night was had by all, the hall looked beautiful with twinkling lights everywhere. The event was sold out and so the hall was packed with people supporting War Child.
“Jason Merrells and Emma Lowndes (who used to live in Ickleton) were fabulous at hosting the event. Our thanks also to to
The Cambridge Footlights, Oliver, Haydn and Dillon who broke from their busy university schedule to support our cause. They are a remarkable group of young people, kind and generous.
“As usual, they were very, very funny and warmed the audience up nicely for the main act of Croft and Pearce. Ben’s Disco of Barrington ended the evening with two hours of non stop dancing.”
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 3 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 4 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
She added: “We feel so happy that, as a community with the help of all our friends and the people who bought tickets, we have been able to help children who are suffering. The money raised will bring hope to those who had none and we can only thank all our supporters for their encouragement and support.”