Drag act wows at Saffron Walden care home
- Credit: Archant
A drag queen wearing original Danny La Rue dresses performed a care home in Saffron Walden this week.
Stephen Wicks is a tribute act for the famous 60s entertainer and managed to bag the dresses in an auction.
Families of the residents at Highfield Care Home also came to watch the show, where they were given Pina Coladas and feather boas to set the scene before Stephen came onstage.
His act is not solely Danny Le Rue, but also old music hall songs.
Katie Howard, activities co-ordinator at the care home, said: “When I called him up he was very fun, and sounded like a really nice person.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a show [for the residents] once a month and I try to get something different for them every time.”
Danny Le Rue brought cross dressing into the public eye when he opened his nightclub in Hanover Square, London, which was visited by celebrities such as Dame Judy Garland and Shirley Bassey.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 5 Researchers collaborate with students in protein art project
- 6 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 7 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 8 English Touring Opera coming to Saffron Hall with rarely performed Handel opera
- 9 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital