Drought update: Annual village Duck Race cancelled
AN annual Duck Race has been cancelled...because of the drought.
Radwinter has become a popular Easter pastime in Horse Meadow in the village over the past few years.
But a lack of rainfall - the cumulative rainfall is the least seen for 120 years in our area, according to water provider Veolia – means the River Pant is not deep enough for the little yellow ducks to float downstream.
Stephen Hargreaves, chairman of the Radwinter Recreation Ground Management Committee which organises the Duck Race, said: “We are all very disappointed as the Duck Race had become an Easter focus for families of the village and beyond to get together in an informal way and enjoy a bit of harmless nonsense.
“This year, however, there has been no flush of spring rainfall to boost the flow in the river Pant. Conditions make it impossible for the little yellow ducks to float, let alone swim downstream, however much encouragement they might get from Colin Taylor in his waders, wielding his weighty paddle.
“We just hope Duck No10, who absconded from the first race meeting some years ago, doesn’t decide to come home and find there’s no racing on Bank Holiday Monday after all!”
The village will have to wait for the summer to meet together to raise much needed funds for the proposed new sports pavilion.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 6 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 8 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 9 'Cat bite could have killed me': Many operations for rescuer
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
Radwinter fete takes place on Bank Holiday, August 27.