Dunmow’s former workhouse goes up for sale
- Credit: Archant
ONE of Great Dunmow’s most historic buildings, designed by the architect behind the Foreign Office and the Albert Memorial, is on the market.
The four-bedroom home was formerly part of the town’s workhouse. Built around 1840, the ‘Dunmow Union Workhouse’ was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, one of the most famous architects of the time. His other works include the iconic hotel at St Pancras Station and Glasgow University.
The Dunmow workhouse is typical of the architect’s gothic style and the site was also used as an army billet and prisoner of war camp during the First World War.
Now called ‘The Close’, Mullucks Wells is selling the property which was once used as the Guardian’s boardroom. The current owners, who have lived there for 14 years, said: “We loved the history of the building, and over the years we’ve renovated, extended and restored it. We really wanted to create a flexible family home so we’ve added things like the orangery to give it that extra usable space.”
Mark Wagstaff from Mullucks Wells’ Dunmow office, said: “It’s incredible to think that this stunning building was designed as a workhouse and by such a prominent architect. Records show that the building cost £8,000 to build 175 years ago – a huge amount of money at the time!
You may also want to watch:
“Since then it’s had a really fascinating history including its war time role and more recently as a school.”
The property is on the market at £750,000. For information contact Mullucks Wells on 01371 872117.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 6 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 7 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 8 Care home chef Ben Morris shortlisted for award
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler