Railway museum restores railbus used on Saffron Walden train line
PUBLISHED: 14:28 12 October 2018 | UPDATED: 14:29 12 October 2018
The East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne railway station in Colchester will soon feature a piece of history from Saffron Walden's train station.
Introduced by British Railways in 1958 at a time when the railways were undergoing a transitional period from steam to diesel power, five German-built railbuses were procured.
Based at Cambridge Coldhams Lane Depot for operation on the Audley End to Saffron Walden to Bartlow line, they became known as the ‘squash’ by school children at the time due to space limitations.
Their riding qualities at 50 miles per hour were acclaimed by reports at the time as ‘somewhat dubious’ due to their four wheel configuration.
The railbus that worked the final route on September 17, 1964, from Saffron Walden to Audley End has been at the East Anglian Railway Museum for the past four years undergoing a major rebuild and is now approaching completion.