East of England’s electric vehicle bid gets Government green light
STANSTED Airport has been given the nod to become a location for a new plug-in charging point for electric vehicles.
The Essex hub is one of 1200 smart recharging points across the East of England after the project – entitled Evalu8 – received �2.9 million OLEV funding to drive forward the electric vehicle network in the New Year.
The region is leading the way in take-up of electric vehicles and the major funding was given the green light this week by Transport Secretary Philip Hammond. Projects in the Midlands, Greater Manchester, Scotland and Northern Ireland were also given the go-ahead by government.
With over �7 million now in place from partners including the East of England Development Agency (EEDA), European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and other private and public sector organisations committed to match-funding plug-in points, work on installing the network of recharging points is scheduled to start in Spring next year.
A spokesman said the airport is intending to place charging facilities within its car parks which include: bookable parking spaces in the short stay car park; a valet parking and charging service for customers parking for longer periods; and charging points for car rental companies
You may also want to watch:
The East of England forms a key part of the UK’s charging network, linking in with the adjacent charging points already being installed in London and Milton Keynes. As well as Stansted Airport, a wider charging network for electric vehicles will be based around Bedford, Cambridge, Ipswich, Norwich, Peterborough, Luton, Hertfordshire and Thames gateway in South Essex.
Retail outlets, public car parks, railway stations, local businesses and residential streets have already been identified as prime locations
- 1 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 7 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 8 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 9 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 10 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
By the end of 2013, all local businesses and residents in the region will be no more than 25 miles away from a recharging post.