Easter holidays: Essex schoolchildren invited to imagine their perfect getaway
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association. A seven-night break for f
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association.
A seven-night break for four in Spain and a host of great mini-breaks and days out are among the prizes up for grabs in the competition, which gets youngsters aged 7-11 to design 'picture postcards' illustrating holidays through the ages.
The project has been designed to fit with the National Curriculum with a specially created teachers' pack covering art, history, English, maths, geography and personal and social development.
ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer said: "We are hoping that teachers and schools across Essex really get behind this fun programme.
You may also want to watch:
"We are celebrating the great British love affair with the holiday in a way that is both educational and entertaining."
Pictures, film footage and holiday brochures from the last 60 years have been gathered together from the archives of Thomas Cook and other ABTA members as an aid for schools signing up to the competition.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
Teachers, pupils and parents can find out more and download their free entry packs and classroom resources by visiting: abta.com/60yearsontopoftheworld.
Entries must be received by June 10, 2010.