Easter holidays: Essex schoolchildren invited to imagine their perfect getaway
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association. A seven-night break for f
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association.
A seven-night break for four in Spain and a host of great mini-breaks and days out are among the prizes up for grabs in the competition, which gets youngsters aged 7-11 to design 'picture postcards' illustrating holidays through the ages.
The project has been designed to fit with the National Curriculum with a specially created teachers' pack covering art, history, English, maths, geography and personal and social development.
ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer said: "We are hoping that teachers and schools across Essex really get behind this fun programme.
You may also want to watch:
"We are celebrating the great British love affair with the holiday in a way that is both educational and entertaining."
Pictures, film footage and holiday brochures from the last 60 years have been gathered together from the archives of Thomas Cook and other ABTA members as an aid for schools signing up to the competition.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
- 10 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
Teachers, pupils and parents can find out more and download their free entry packs and classroom resources by visiting: abta.com/60yearsontopoftheworld.
Entries must be received by June 10, 2010.