Easter holidays: Essex schoolchildren invited to imagine their perfect getaway
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association. A seven-night break for f
CHILDREN across Essex are being invited to imagine their perfect holiday from the past, present and future as part of an innovative national Schools Arts Challenge celebrating the 60th anniversary of ABTA, the travel association.
A seven-night break for four in Spain and a host of great mini-breaks and days out are among the prizes up for grabs in the competition, which gets youngsters aged 7-11 to design 'picture postcards' illustrating holidays through the ages.
The project has been designed to fit with the National Curriculum with a specially created teachers' pack covering art, history, English, maths, geography and personal and social development.
ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer said: "We are hoping that teachers and schools across Essex really get behind this fun programme.
"We are celebrating the great British love affair with the holiday in a way that is both educational and entertaining."
Pictures, film footage and holiday brochures from the last 60 years have been gathered together from the archives of Thomas Cook and other ABTA members as an aid for schools signing up to the competition.
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 3 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 6 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 7 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 8 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 9 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 10 Harmer's career-best haul helps Essex stun Hampshire
Teachers, pupils and parents can find out more and download their free entry packs and classroom resources by visiting: abta.com/60yearsontopoftheworld.
Entries must be received by June 10, 2010.