Educational links help breathe new life into Gardens of Easton Lodge
THE Countess of Warwick would have been delighted to see the collaboration between volunteers and students from Felsted School which started at the Gardens of Easton Lodge this week.
Seven German students arrived for the first of six visits armed with spades and enthusiasm to spend two hours doing community service as part of their international baccalaureate.
‘Darling Daisy’ held a lifelong desire to bring educational opportunities to a widespread audience across the community – as well as a passion for beautiful gardens - in her time pressing for better access to education and training for all.
The student’s efforts have already made inroads into the clearing of flowerbeds in anticipation of new floral plantings and they will be a great help when it comes to painting the new Tea Pavilion which will be erected in the grounds next month.
Commenting on their progress at the end of the first week, the Gardens of Easton Lodge Preservation Trust’s head gardener Robert Hanchet said: “English country gardens are renowned for their beauty and tranquillity – even when, as is the case with the Gardens of Easton Lodge, they are in need of so much work to restore them to their former glory.
You may also want to watch:
“The extra help we are getting over the six week period from our German volunteers will allow us to move forward more quickly and I hope leave us all with a lasting memory of working together on a very special project.”
The Gardens are open on one Sunday per month until October and the next opening is this Sunday (May 22) from 12 noon until 6pm (last entry at 5pm). Adults �2.50 and children free of charge. Homemade cakes and soups will be on sale, together with a selection of hot and cold drinks. Picnics welcome, as are dogs on leads.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
- 10 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Further information is available from the website at eastonlodge.co.uk, by e-mailing email@example.com or leaving a message on 01371 876979.
The Gardens are located just outside Great Dunmow in Little Easton, off the B184 (Great Dunmow to Saffron Walden road). Follow the brown heritage signs.