Aviation day out at Audley End for west Essex Scouts groups
- Credit: Supplied
Three west Essex scout group received an exclusive tour of Audley End Airfield accompanied by the Mayor of Saffron Walden.
The 1st Thaxted-Carver Air, 1st Newport and 1st Clavering scout groups held an aviation day learning about the principles of flight and navigation, and experiencing a WWI simulator.
Some scouts even entered an art competition mentored by the Guild of Aviation Artists.
Rory Wilson, group scout leader at 1st Thaxted-Carver Air, said: "A brilliant day was had by all.
"A massive thanks to Stewart Luck for wearing several hats and organising it."
"I wonder what’s next for this intrepid bunch!"
The group was joined by Mayor of Saffron Walden councillor Richard Porch, UDC leader cllr John Lodge, Saffron Walden Scouts District Commissioner and The Hertfordshire Scouts Glider Team.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: The inaugural Santa Dash around Saffron Walden
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 5 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 8 Walking Football launches in Walden
- 9 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 10 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
The mayor said: "The children and adults got a real sense of how planes work.
"It was a really impressive experience."