Aviation day out at Audley End for west Essex Scouts groups
- Credit: Supplied
Three west Essex scout group received an exclusive tour of Audley End Airfield accompanied by the Mayor of Saffron Walden.
The 1st Thaxted-Carver Air, 1st Newport and 1st Clavering scout groups held an aviation day learning about the principles of flight and navigation, and experiencing a WWI simulator.
Some scouts even entered an art competition mentored by the Guild of Aviation Artists.
Rory Wilson, group scout leader at 1st Thaxted-Carver Air, said: "A brilliant day was had by all.
"A massive thanks to Stewart Luck for wearing several hats and organising it."
"I wonder what’s next for this intrepid bunch!"
The group was joined by Mayor of Saffron Walden councillor Richard Porch, UDC leader cllr John Lodge, Saffron Walden Scouts District Commissioner and The Hertfordshire Scouts Glider Team.
- 1 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 2 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 4 The Railway Arms is North West Essex CAMRA Pub of the Year
- 5 Nearly 100 homes planned for former Friends' School
- 6 Drugs, cash and handguns seized in Essex
- 7 'Cat bite could have killed me': Many operations for rescuer
- 8 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 9 Thaxted care home will light up to raise awareness of rare disorder
- 10 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
The mayor said: "The children and adults got a real sense of how planes work.
"It was a really impressive experience."