Elderly couple left homeless after house fire
AN ELDERLY couple have been left homeless following a garage fire in Saffron Walden.
Two 70-year-olds were at home when the fire broke out but had safety evacuated before crews from the Gold Street station and Newport arrived.
The crews were called to the property on Park Lane around 11.20am yesterday (Jan 12). On arrival firefighters reported a fire in an integral garage which was 100 percent alight,
Four hoses were needed to extinguish the fire – the incident was dealt with by 1.20pm.
Sub Officer Nigel Webb from Saffron Walden Fire Station said: “The fire had broken out in the garage after the owner of the property had been thawing out frozen pipes with a heater.
You may also want to watch:
“When fire crews arrived the garage was well alight and the fire had spread to two bedrooms and a bathroom above the garage. The crews’ fast action and hard work prevented the fire from spreading throughout the property.
“Three cars were inside the garage at the time of the fire, one car was damaged by the fire and the crews prevented the fire from spreading to two further vehicles.
- 1 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 2 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 3 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 7 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 8 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 9 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
“The couple have been made temporarily homeless following the fire in their home and are now staying in a local hotel.”