ELECTION: Conservatives win Ashdon ward
- Credit: Archant
After a recount, the winning candidate in the Ashdon ward for Uttlesford District Council is Howard Rolfe.
Councillor Rolfe said: “It was a relief, It was close.
“It was a very good fight, it was a good contest and I’m very grateful to the residents of Ashdon ward for showing their support.”
Mr Starr said: “We made him work hard for every single vote. It was very close to call. The national election saw an upswing of Conservative support.
“The national agenda affected the vote. I’m disappointed. If it wasn’t for the General Election, without a doubt we would have won.
You may also want to watch:
“People come out for the General Election and vote for the big parties and then choose the same party in the local elections.”
Howard Rolfe* (Conservative) 575 votes
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 5 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir
- 6 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 9 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
- 10 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
Dan Starr (Residents For Uttlesford) 533 votes
Barry Tyler (UKIP) 125 votes
* denotes returned councillor