ELECTION: Saffron Walden Castle ward goes to Residents For Uttlesford.
- Credit: Archant
The winning candidates in the Saffron Walden Castle ward for Uttlesford District Council are Heather Asker and Richard Freeman.
Councillor Asker and Conservatives Bob Eastham and David Sadler were the incumbents, but the latter two were not successful in Thursday’s election.
Councillor Freeman said: “That’s a result for a lot of hard work. I was a councillor for 12 years on the town council, and four years on the district as a Liberal Democrat. I think RFU is a fresh thing in politics with a very good message.
I felt it was worth giving it all the work I’ve got. You get the results you work for, and we worked very hard. There is still a long way to go – it is the start of a long journey.
“I hope we have changed the face of local politics.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sadler said: “I’ve served the town for eight years, I’ve been privileged to serve the community I’ve grown up in. I have done a lot of good, and I’ve worked extremely hard for the board [town council].
“When you are coming up against a new party that promises to reject housing which they simply cannot do, I wasn’t going to lie to the electorate to say we could.”
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 6 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 7 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 8 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 9 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 10 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
Heather Asker* (Residents For Uttlesford) 914 votes
Arthur Coote (Labour) 305 votes
Bob Eastham (Conservative) 617 votes
Richard Freeman* (Residents For Uttlesford) 735 votes
Barbara Hughes (Liberal Democrats) 233 votes
Stephanie Law (UKIP) 188 votes
David Sadler (Conservative) 559 votes
Simon Trimnell (Labour) 268 votes
* denotes returned councillors