ELECTION: Stansted South and Birchanger ward goes to the Conservatives.
- Credit: Archant
The winning candidates in the Stansted South and Birchanger ward for Uttlesford District Council are Terry Farthing and Thom Goddard.
Stansted South had two Liberal Democrat councillors before the changes to the wards.
Liberal Democrat candidate Lori Flawn said since the boundary change, which incorporated a “more Conservative Birchanger”, the ward was no longer a Lib Dem area.
She added: “I think it went how I expected.
“If we have a General Election at the same time as a district election, emotions come to the fire and change people’s thinking and the distribution of votes.
You may also want to watch:
“Birchanger is a more Tory area. I’ve been a Liberal Democrat all my life, I’m a student of politics and I’m very cynical about the political system.”
Melvin Caton (Liberal Democrats) 697 votes
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 3 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir
- 6 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 9 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
- 10 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
Terry Farthing* (Conservative) 828 votes
Lori Flawn (Liberal Democrats) 500 votes
Anthony Gerard (Residents For Uttlesford) 198 votes
Thom Goddard* (Conservative) 756 votes
David Parry (Residents For Uttlesford) 168 votes
Karmel Stannard (Green) 154 votes
John Wadham (Labour) 265 votes
* denotes returned councillors