ELECTION: Stansted South and Birchanger ward goes to the Conservatives.
- Credit: Archant
The winning candidates in the Stansted South and Birchanger ward for Uttlesford District Council are Terry Farthing and Thom Goddard.
Stansted South had two Liberal Democrat councillors before the changes to the wards.
Liberal Democrat candidate Lori Flawn said since the boundary change, which incorporated a “more Conservative Birchanger”, the ward was no longer a Lib Dem area.
She added: “I think it went how I expected.
“If we have a General Election at the same time as a district election, emotions come to the fire and change people’s thinking and the distribution of votes.
“Birchanger is a more Tory area. I’ve been a Liberal Democrat all my life, I’m a student of politics and I’m very cynical about the political system.”
Melvin Caton (Liberal Democrats) 697 votes
- 1 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 2 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 4 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 10 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
Terry Farthing* (Conservative) 828 votes
Lori Flawn (Liberal Democrats) 500 votes
Anthony Gerard (Residents For Uttlesford) 198 votes
Thom Goddard* (Conservative) 756 votes
David Parry (Residents For Uttlesford) 168 votes
Karmel Stannard (Green) 154 votes
John Wadham (Labour) 265 votes
* denotes returned councillors