Elsenham and Radwinter WI groups celebrate 100-year anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Elsenham and Radwinter WI groups have held special events to commemorate 100 years of the institute.
In Radwinter, members held a community tea to mark the anniversary, and decorated the village hall accordingly, with centenary-themed bunting embroidered with the names of the group.
There was also an archive of WI memorabilia on display for visitors to view. The Radwinter group will mark its own centenary in 2026.
Members in Elsenham marked the centenary with a speakeasy evening, featuring music, dancing and cocktails.
More than 40 members and guests wore cocktail dresses and drank themed cocktails from teacups and jam jars. Emily Yarrow, a Stansted-based actress and opera singer, provided the entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
Moyra Jackson, president of Elsenham WI, which has seen its membership double in three years, said: “The WI is all about inspiring women and I’m delighted that so many members, old and new, were inspired to mark the centenary with an evening of fun, laughter and entertainment.”
- 1 Essex Highways proposes 11-week closure to main road near Thaxted
- 2 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 3 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 4 Aviation day out at Audley End for west Essex Scouts groups
- 5 Remembrance parade will take place, says town council
- 6 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 9 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 10 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?