Energy switch scheme helps Essex residents save £250k on their gas and electricity bills
- Credit: PA
The first Essex Energy Switch has secured total savings on gas and electricity bills of over £250,000 for residents in the county.
Over 1,200 people accepted offers to switch energy providers with the collective savings scheme, with average savings per household of £209.
The Essex Energy Switch works by bringing together residents who want to switch providers and pay less for their gas and electricity bills. The scheme is run by Essex County Council, in partnership with district, borough and city councils, and delivered by iChoosr, an independent provider which specialises in collective energy switching.
Essex residents were able to sign up for the Energy Switch during January and February. A one-day ‘auction’ then took place, with energy companies coming forward to offer their best possible tariffs.
The 4,489 residents who signed up for the scheme each received a personalised offer detailing how much they could save, with no obligation to switch. Twenty eight per cent of residents accepted their offers and were guided through the switching process.
You may also want to watch:
County councillor Roger Walters, cabinet member for waste & recycling said: “I am pleased that that this scheme has been a success and has benefited so many Essex residents. We will be running the scheme again later this year and hope that even more residents take the opportunity to register and save money by changing their energy suppliers.”
The county council is hoping to launch a second phase of the Essex Energy Switch this summer.
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
For further details on the scheme and advice on saving energy in the home, visit essex.gov.uk/energyswitch