Essex: Bus operator Hedingham Omnibuses is acquired by Go-Ahead Group
ESSEX-based Hedingham Omnibuses has been acquired for an undisclosed sum by national train and bus operator Go-Ahead.
Hedingham, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010, operates a fleet of 80 vehicles on a mix of commercial and contracted local bus routes across north Essex and into Suffolk, plus a number of school services.
It is based in Colchester and has depots in Clacton, Harwich, Kelvedon and Tollesbury, with other towns served by its routes included Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill, Halstead, Braintree, Witham and Chelmsford.
Go-Ahead, which is one of the UK’s largest bus operators with a fleet of around 3,900 vehicles, and also owns stakes in the Southern, Southeaster and London Midland train franchises, said the Hedingham brand would remain in place.
Hedingham would become a subsidiary of the Go-Ahead group and would continue to be run by its existing management team, led by managing director Robert MacGregor.
David Brown, group chief executive at Go-Ahead, said: “I am delighted that we have acquired Hedingham Omnibuses. Go-Ahead is committed to operating high quality bus businesses in areas of growth, so this acquisition fits extremely well with that approach.
“The MacGregor family and their staff have done an excellent job building Hedingham into what it is today. We look forward to working with them and to continuing to deliver an excellent service to our customers.”
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 5 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 6 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
Mr MacGregor added: “The company has grown consistently since it was founded in 1960 and we are confident that we can continue to grow in the same way under Go-Ahead’s ownership.
“Go-Ahead and the Hedingham team are all committed to growing the business along the same lines as we have done since we started in 1960.”