Essex County Council’s new chairman steps into his role
- Credit: NICK STRUGNELL© 07966805565
Essex County Council has welcomed its new chairman, Cllr Norman Hume, into the role as the civic and ceremonial head of the authority.
South Woodham Ferrers member, Cllr Hume, took over the post from Cllr Kay Twitchen as he moves into his 14th year serving on the council.
Cllr Hume said: “I am pleased and proud of the trust and confidence my colleagues have shown in electing me as chairman of Essex County Council.
“Having previously served two years as vice-chairman, I am looking forward to continuing the excellent work of Cllr Twitchen and other past chairmen of this council. And I especially wish to acknowledge the outstanding advice and guidance I have received from Cllr Twitchen, which will serve me well in my term as chairman.
“In my role I plan to promote the county of Essex at every opportunity. In particular, I am looking forward to supporting the voluntary sector whose activities contribute so much to the overall wellbeing of the people of Essex.
“I also recognise the importance of business and the high level of entrepreneurial skills that exist within the county and propose to offer support and encouragement to this sector whenever possible.”
During his time as a county councillor, Cllr Hume was a cabinet member for six years, four of which he served as cabinet member for highways and transportation. He has also served as a member of outside bodies such as the Local Government Association and the East of England Regional Transport Board.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 7 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 8 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 9 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 10 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
Away from the council, Cllr Hume, a former banker who lives in Danbury, enjoys sport in general, is a keen golfer and continues to raise a sweat on the squash court. He is married to Veronica, has three adult sons and four grandchildren.
His new vice-chairman will be Broomfield and Writtle member, Cllr John Aldridge, previously the cabinet member for adult social care.