Essex County Council to hold ‘Dementia Friends Marathon Day’
- Credit: Archant
Essex County Council, working with the Alzheimer’s Society and Chelmsford City Council, is holding a Dementia Friends Marathon Day tomorrow (Tuesday), running sessions through the day at Chelmsford Library.
The day – which will be supported by an information stand in the County Hall atrium and the Alzheimer’s Society mobile unit in Chelmsford High Street – aims to recruit Dementia Friends within Essex County Council, Chelmsford City Council, the public and local businesses with the long term goal of developing Dementia Friendly communities across Essex.
With a higher than average population of older people, it’s estimated the number of people with dementia in Essex could increase to as many as 35,000 over the next decade.
That’s 10,000 more people with dementia than the entire population of Witham, the council said.
Cllr Anne Brown, Essex County Council’s cabinet member for communities and healthy living, said: “The statistics in Essex show we need to act now to strengthen our communities to help people with dementia to continue to live life to the full.
You may also want to watch:
“By attending a session you will become aware of the signs to look out for, and how to help, sometimes simply with a little greater compassion and understanding in your dealings with people who may be struggling with day-to-day activities such as shopping, ordering food and catching the bus.”
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues