Essex: Couple who lost 15-stone in 18 months win award
A COUPLE who lost more than 15 stone between them in less than 18 months have won the title of Slimming World’s Couple of the Year 2012.
Simon and Tracy Bartlett, of Braintree, had struggled to lose weight since they were teenagers.
Their size crept up after Mrs Bartlett, 42, was diagnosed with Churg-Strauss syndrome, an auto-immune disease which badly affected her lungs.
Taking daily steroids to manage the condition increased her appetite, while Mr Bartlett, 33, turned to comfort eating.
At their heaviest, Mr Bartlett weighed 18 and a half stone and Mrs Bartlett weighed 18 stone. On top of Mrs Bartlett’s illness, they both suffered high blood pressure and painful joints.
You may also want to watch:
In January 2011 Mr and Mrs Bartlett joined their local Slimming World group in Braintree. By December 2011 Mrs Bartlett had lost 8st 81/2lb and Mr Bartlett was 6st 121/2lb lighter.
Speaking about their combined weight loss, Mrs Bartlett said: “We want to make up for lost time. We’ve booked camping trips for the summer and I’m dying to try weird and wacky things like zorbing and bungee jumping, things I’d never have dreamed of doing before.”
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal