Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- Credit: Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service will knock on doors tomorrow (Friday, January 15) to reassure the community following a fatal fire on Sunday.
Due to weather warnings in place for today (January 14), when the door knocking was initially scheduled, the team had to delay their visit.
The community safety team will be in the area around Blacklands Close, Saffron Walden, to offer safety advice and will provide smoke alarms for free to anyone who needs them.
The fire on Blacklands Close led to a man sadly dying in his home. Emergency services were alerted by a neighbour. When they arrived the building was alight. The roof collapsed. The cause of the fire is still being investigated but is not being treated as suspicious.
Fire Service staff will be wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and will follow Government social distancing guidelines while they provide home fire safety advice.
Nick Singleton, operational and community risk manager for North Essex, said: “We want every home in Essex to benefit from working smoke alarms and will provide them for free to any home without them.
You may also want to watch:
"If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms on every level of their home, you can arrange a free visit from our home fire safety team, who can deliver smoke alarms to you while following government guidance to keep everyone safe."
If you are not a Blacklands Close neighbour, but want the fire service to talk about fire safety measures, make an appointment via this link essex-fire.gov.uk/book.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 4 Stations benefit from funding
- 5 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 8 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 9 Surgeon wins top award for hip research
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler