Essex Highways deploys its winter gritting lorries
ESSEX Highways has deployed its fleet of winter gritting lorries to treat Essex roads during the current icy conditions.
Salting runs took place between 12pm and 7pm yesterday (11 March) and from 1am and 9am this morning (12 March).
Decisions on further runs will be taken during today, depending on conditions.
County Councilor Derrick Louis, Cabinet Member for Highways & Transportation said: “We are doing everything we can to keep Essex roads moving during these current weather conditions.
“Our gritting lorries have been regularly spreading salt across our main road network, and will continue to do so as required.
You may also want to watch:
“I am urging residents to travel with extra caution at this time, and make sure they have cleared any ice and snow from their vehicles before setting out.”
Each gritting lorry has been fitted with a GPS tracker, which allows their movements to be tracked in real-time, allowing residents to track the gritting lorries as they go along their specified routes.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
Residents can keep up to speed with salting decisions and follow the lorries online, thanks to the live tracking system available at www.essex.gov.uk/highways.
Essex Highways claims that its gritting lorries have covered enough mileage to go seven times around the world, spreading over 26,000 tonnes of salt during the winter.