Essex homeowners warned off rogue traders after Storm Barney
- Credit: Archant
Householders in the county are being warned against using cowboy builders or rogue traders if their house or fences have been damaged in recent storms.
Trading Standards at Essex County Council issued the advice after Storm Barney brought high winds through the county last night.
Legitimate builders, plumbers, carpenters and other craftsmen will be working at full stretch and Trading Standards is concerned that dishonest traders will take advantage of the situation to rip off vulnerable residents.
Traders who knock on your door or only leave you a mobile number may not have a permanent address or be contactable if problems arise.
Trading Standards advise people to speak to their insurance companies before engaging anyone to carry out repair work and to approach businesses approved by the insurers.
You may also want to watch:
In the case of flood damage, electricity and gas companies may be able to make free inspections and advise on safety work.
Councillor David Finch, Leader of Essex County Council, said: “If your house or property has been damaged by the recent storm, the last thing you need is a rogue trader adding to the problem. I would recommend using one of our Buy with Confidence traders who have been audited and approved by Trading Standards.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 6 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 7 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 8 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 9 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 10 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
“We would also advise residents to look out for vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours who can easily fall victim to rogue trader tactics.”
You can find a Buy with Confidence trader or obtain advice and guidance by calling the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or online at www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk.