ESSEX: Large rise in cargo goods going through London Stansted Airport
NEW figures released by BAA show that Stansted Airport s cargo operation enjoyed its fourth month on month increase in a row. More than 15,000 tonnes of goods were transported through Stansted last month, a 14.2 per cent increase compared to January last
NEW figures released by BAA show that Stansted Airport's cargo operation enjoyed its fourth month on month increase in a row.
More than 15,000 tonnes of goods were transported through Stansted last month, a 14.2 per cent increase compared to January last year, almost five times the rate reported in October 2009.
"This upturn in cargo through Stansted is encouraging news, reflecting an increase in trade and economic activity," said Nick Barton Stansted's commercial and development director.
"Passenger numbers are also beginning to stabilise with rates of decline significantly down on 2009, and we remain hopeful that this area of our business will also see a return to growth towards the end of 2010.
You may also want to watch:
"Stansted has a world-wide reputation as a cargo hub and we're proud to be the second largest London airport for cargo operations into and out of the UK.
"Around 180,000 tonnes of cargo are shipped through our world-class facilities at Stansted each year. Fed-Ex has their largest UK hub here and the airport is also home to BA's World Cargo operation.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
"With AirAsia X carrying goods on direct flights to Kuala Lumpur and beyond and other passenger airlines transporting items daily across their route networks, its not just freight operators linking Stansted onto the vast cargo networks around the globe.