Essex man fined for throwing chips out of van window
A MAN from a London suburb has been fined �75 for throwing a bag of chips from the window of his van in Saffron Walden.
The Woodford Green man was spotted throwing a bag of chips from the window of his Vauxhall Combo van while parked on George Street in the town centre, before driving off.
A council enforcement officer witnessed the incident, took down the driver’s registration and contacted the DVLA. The DVLA provided the driver’s details and he was then contacted by the council’s enforcement team.
He was issued with a fixed penalty notice, which was paid by his mother.
Enforcement activity in Uttlesford is being stepped up as part of the council’s Keep Uttlesford Tidy campaign.
Chairman of the council’s environment committee Susan Barker said: “The council is very serious about clamping down on littering in Uttlesford, whether that’s fly-tipping or, as in this case, individuals thoughtlessly discarding litter on the district’s streets.
“We want to get the message out there that this is simply not acceptable – dropping rubbish on the ground spoils the environment for everyone else. There is no reason not to take your litter home and dispose of it when you get there.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
- 3 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 4 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 7 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 9 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 10 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
“The council’s vigilant enforcement team will continue to issue fixed penalty notices whenever they witness an incident of littering. So if you’re thinking about throwing something onto the streets of Uttlesford, instead of putting it in a bin where it belongs: think again.”