Essex MEP fights for deal at UN climate change conference in Copenhagen
AN Essex Euro MP is lobbying for a climate change deal at the international summit in Copenhagen. Richard Howitt MEP met with European Parliament Environment Group leader, Jo Leiden MEP, to make the case for tough action as the climate change summit conti
AN Essex Euro MP is lobbying for a climate change deal at the international summit in Copenhagen.
Richard Howitt MEP met with European Parliament Environment Group leader, Jo Leiden MEP, to make the case for tough action as the climate change summit continued.
He is calling on other countries to play their part and back British calls for Europe to cut its carbon emissions by at least 30 percent by 2020 as the next step in the battle against dangerous world temperature rises.
The Labour MEP has also insisted that Europe must meet its obligations to help poorer nations develop clean technology if there is to be any hope of saving the planet for future generations.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Howitt MEP said: "Europe has to lead the way if a climate change deal is to be reached. It is time for us to step up to the plate and set an example to the world. The industrialised world has caused this problem; we have to lead the way to a solution.
"If we do not set ourselves targets that show we are serious then how can we expect others to do their bit? Europe needs to put its money where its mouth is and push for a strong carbon cutting deal at Copenhagen.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 7 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 10 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
"This region, with its strong focus on environmental technology can benefit from the changes we need to make, but we also have more to be concerned about if climate change is not brought under control. We are one of the lowest lying regions in the country and we are already seeing our coastal land falling into the sea.