ESSEX MEP welcomes Irish referendum decision on Europe
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe s treaty. The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the wrangling over the European Union and warned a British referendum wo
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe's treaty.
The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the "wrangling" over the European Union and warned a British referendum would damage the local economy.
"This treaty was never more than a common sense adaption to the rules to accommodate Europe moving from 15 to 27 members," said Mr Howitt MEP.
"It strengthens democracy and gives us the tools to fight the challenges of today such as climate change and unemployment.
You may also want to watch:
"The Irish vote must mark the closure of a destabilising and misinformed debate, so that those of us working at the European level can get on with the job.
"The Tory threat to tear up a ratified treaty if they come to Government would ultimately threaten Britain's membership of the European Union. If they care about Britain's future they will drop that threat now.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 6 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 7 Care home chef Ben Morris shortlisted for award
- 8 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 9 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler