ESSEX MEP welcomes Irish referendum decision on Europe
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe s treaty. The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the wrangling over the European Union and warned a British referendum wo
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe's treaty.
The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the "wrangling" over the European Union and warned a British referendum would damage the local economy.
"This treaty was never more than a common sense adaption to the rules to accommodate Europe moving from 15 to 27 members," said Mr Howitt MEP.
"It strengthens democracy and gives us the tools to fight the challenges of today such as climate change and unemployment.
You may also want to watch:
"The Irish vote must mark the closure of a destabilising and misinformed debate, so that those of us working at the European level can get on with the job.
"The Tory threat to tear up a ratified treaty if they come to Government would ultimately threaten Britain's membership of the European Union. If they care about Britain's future they will drop that threat now.
- 1 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 Audley End apple festival is this weekend