ESSEX MEP welcomes Irish referendum decision on Europe
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe s treaty. The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the wrangling over the European Union and warned a British referendum wo
ESSEX Euro politician Richard Howitt has welcomed the result of the Irish referendum on Europe's treaty.
The Labour Member of the European Parliament (MEP) has called for an end to the "wrangling" over the European Union and warned a British referendum would damage the local economy.
"This treaty was never more than a common sense adaption to the rules to accommodate Europe moving from 15 to 27 members," said Mr Howitt MEP.
"It strengthens democracy and gives us the tools to fight the challenges of today such as climate change and unemployment.
You may also want to watch:
"The Irish vote must mark the closure of a destabilising and misinformed debate, so that those of us working at the European level can get on with the job.
"The Tory threat to tear up a ratified treaty if they come to Government would ultimately threaten Britain's membership of the European Union. If they care about Britain's future they will drop that threat now.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 6 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Saffron Striders doing their bit for charity as racing returns