Essex: Parish fury over houses plan snub
A PARISH council has reacted angrily after its fierce opposition against a 55-house development in Thaxted was ignored by the district council.
Thaxted Parish Council and residents had vehemently opposed an application by developer Endurance Estates to build the homes at the bottom of Wedow Road.
The application had been thrown out in July but Endurance’s bid for outline permission was approved at the second time of asking by planning authority Uttlesford District Council on Wednesday.
The bid had received hundreds of objections from angry residents, while the parish council had objected in the “strongest possible terms”.
Amongst the concerns raised were that it is outside the development limits, it does not address a shortfall in provision of primary education or downstream flooding, and it would have an unacceptable impact on natural species – all reasons why it was refused the first time around.
Speaking after the meeting, parish councillor Ruth Ship said that local people have been ignored.
“The parish council is very disappointed that we have not been listened to and 240 local people have been ignored too,” she said.
- 1 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 3 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
- 5 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 6 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 7 Alice in Wonderland cast announced for Bridge End Gardens performances in Saffron Walden
- 8 Simple Minds set for Audley End concert ahead of releasing new album Direction Of The Heart
- 9 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 10 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
“We feel Endurance has not done enough to mitigate the four sound reasons for refusal last time.
“This is not the right site: the effect on the environment, the roads and the sewage system will be too great.
“Thaxted Primary School is already at its limit without the opportunity to expand so when this is built local children will have to get the bus to Saffron Walden and Dunmow for an education. For children from four to nine, this just isn’t suitable.”
Endurance Estates planning director Ben Hooton disagreed. He said: “We have done all we can to put the right scheme forward and addressed the reasons we were refused planning permission last time. There is an acute shortage of houses in Uttlesford which needs to be addressed.
“Any objections the parish council has can be brought up at the next stage when detailed applications on the look of the development are brought forward.”
• WHAT do you think? Will the development be good for Thaxted? E-mail your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org