Essex Police advise people not to travel due to heavy snowfall today
ESSEX Police are advising people to only take to the roads if absolutely necessary as most parts of the county are under snow. Since 6am this morning (Wednesday January 6), Essex Police has dealt with nearly 50 weather-related incidents ranging from road
ESSEX Police are advising people to only take to the roads if absolutely necessary as most parts of the county are under snow.
Since 6am this morning (Wednesday January 6), Essex Police has dealt with nearly 50 weather-related incidents ranging from road crashes to teenagers causing a nuisance with anti-social snowballing. However, the number of traffic collisions has remained very low so far.
Roads in west and north Essex are virtually impassable due to the snow, with Maldon beginning to experience motoring problems. The county's dual carriageways in the south and the motorways are clear and running freely. However, the section of the A12 north of Witham is beginning to clear following difficulties earlier this morning.
Operational commander, Chief Insp Richard Phillibrown, said: "The weather forecast is for the snow to continue through until this evening when we will then experience freezing temperatures and ice-related problems begin to play their part.
You may also want to watch:
"Our advice to people is not to travel unless absolutely necessary, with children who are off school asked to be considerate with their play in the snow. If anyone does have to take to the roads, then they should take a charged mobile telephone, a blanket and a hot drink.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 3 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call