Essex Police appoints new chief constable
ESSEX Police has a new chief constable.Chief Constable Jim Barker-McCardle was appointed on Tuesday July 21 and will take up the position as soon as possible.The announcement follows a thorough selection process, which ended on Tuesday with an interview
ESSEX Police has a new chief constable.
Chief Constable Jim Barker-McCardle was appointed on Tuesday July 21 and will take up the position as soon as possible.
The announcement follows a thorough selection process, which ended on Tuesday with an interview with Essex Police Authority's selection panel.
Chairman of the authority, Robert Chambers, said: "I am delighted that Mr Barker-McCardle will be joining Essex Police. I am looking forward to working with him to continue to provide the people of Essex with an excellent police service."
You may also want to watch:
Chief Con Barker-McCardle, 48, joined Kent police in 1981 and served throughout the county in a number of uniform and detective roles. He was appointed as assistant chief constable in Kent in 1999.
He was appointed deputy chief constable in March 2004 and was involved in the early stages of the collaboration programme between Essex Police and Kent Police.
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 7 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 8 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
- 9 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 10 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
In November 2007 he transferred to the National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA) as deputy chief constable and deputy chief executive.
Delighted at his latest promotion, Chief Con Barker-McCardle said: "I am proud to have been appointed as Chief Constable for Essex Police.
"I am very much looking forward to working with Essex Police Authority, Essex Police officers and staff, and of course the people of Essex to continue to make the county even safer.