Essex Police: Five people taken to Addenbrookes Hospital after crash near Saffron Walden
AN ELDERLY woman and four others have been hospitalised after a white van collided with an estate car in Wendens Loft on Sunday (July 17).
The collision on the B1039 happened at around 2pm when a white Mercedes Sprinter van was in collision with a black Toyota Avensis estate.
Firefighters from Saffron Walden, Newport and Harlow attended the scene and had to use specialist cutting equipment to free two people who had become trapped.
Three ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and the Air Ambulance were in attendance, while numerous police officers were also on the scene.
A woman, believed to be in her 60s, was taken to Addenbrookes Hospital which a suspected broken neck. The Reporter understands that she had an operation yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
The other four passengers, including a 12-year-old girl, were also taken to hospital as a precaution.
The driver of the van was uninjured.
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 7 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'
The road was closed until around 11pm while Essex Highways cleared a petrol spillage from the crash.
A Serious Collisions Investigations Unit remains on the scene carrying out investigations. Witnesses or anyone with information is asked to contact Sgt David Griffiths on 0300 333 4444.