Essex Police launch campaign to target drivers using mobile phones
A MAJOR crackdown is taking place this week on motorists who use a mobile phone whilst driving. A countywide campaign targeting mobile phone users at the wheel is taking place this week to tackle a rise in the number of motorists caught out using their mo
A MAJOR crackdown is taking place this week on motorists who use a mobile phone whilst driving.
A countywide campaign targeting mobile phone users at the wheel is taking place this week to tackle a rise in the number of motorists caught out using their mobile phones at the wheel.
Fourteen per cent more drivers were issued with fixed penalty tickets for using their mobile phone while driving compared to last year.
The Essex Casualty Reduction Board (ECRB) is launching the campaign, which includes a hard hitting radio advertisement. Essex Police will also be stepping up its enforcement activities and motorists can expect to see more police checking for mobile phone use than ever before.
You may also want to watch:
Essex County Councillor Norman Hume, chairman of ECRB and cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: "Over recent months, it has become quite clear an increasing number of motorists are ignoring the dangers and continue to risk their own and other's safety by texting or phoning at the wheel.
"Breaking the law risks death or serious injury. It also means a fine and three points on your licence. If you are a new driver you only need to be caught twice to lose your licence.
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 7 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'