Essex Police offer security advice ahead of Olympic torch relay passing through Uttlesford (Saturday July 7)
THOUSANDS of people are expected to turn out tomorrow (Saturday July 7) to see the Olympic torch relay pass through Uttlesford.
The flame will be visiting Stansted Mountfitchet, Newport and Saffron Walden, while BBC Blue Peter will be broadcasting from Saffron Walden Common in the morning.
Essex Police are expecting the combined events to “draw a large number of people away from their homes to watch proceedings”, and they are keen to offer security advice to the masses.
Sgt Colin Cox said: “These events are great opportunities for celebration. We will be providing a discreet policing presence to ensure that everyone can enjoy the day safely.
“I would also urge everyone to behave sensibly. Thieves love crowds, so please make sure you keep your valuables safe – for instance, placing purses and wallets in a zipped pocket. Also please make sure you’ve locked your doors and windows before setting off to celebrate the journey of the torch through our part of Essex.”
You may also want to watch:
ACC Sue Harrison added: “The Olympic Torch Relay celebrates local heroes, recognising their contribution to society and their achievements. For our communities and every torchbearer the relay represents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
“It is the job of Essex Police to ensure they, and the spectators, enjoy their moment safely and securely.”
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal