Essex Police offer security advice ahead of Olympic torch relay passing through Uttlesford (Saturday July 7)
THOUSANDS of people are expected to turn out tomorrow (Saturday July 7) to see the Olympic torch relay pass through Uttlesford.
The flame will be visiting Stansted Mountfitchet, Newport and Saffron Walden, while BBC Blue Peter will be broadcasting from Saffron Walden Common in the morning.
Essex Police are expecting the combined events to “draw a large number of people away from their homes to watch proceedings”, and they are keen to offer security advice to the masses.
Sgt Colin Cox said: “These events are great opportunities for celebration. We will be providing a discreet policing presence to ensure that everyone can enjoy the day safely.
“I would also urge everyone to behave sensibly. Thieves love crowds, so please make sure you keep your valuables safe – for instance, placing purses and wallets in a zipped pocket. Also please make sure you’ve locked your doors and windows before setting off to celebrate the journey of the torch through our part of Essex.”
You may also want to watch:
ACC Sue Harrison added: “The Olympic Torch Relay celebrates local heroes, recognising their contribution to society and their achievements. For our communities and every torchbearer the relay represents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
“It is the job of Essex Police to ensure they, and the spectators, enjoy their moment safely and securely.”
- 1 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 9 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 10 Audley End apple festival is this weekend