Essex Police seek information over multi-vehicle crash on M11 near to Stansed Airport
POLICE are still trying to piece together the exact sequence of events which led to a multi-vehicle crash on the M11 near to Stansted Airport yesterday afternoon (Thursday). The incident happened about 5pm when a large Volvo articulated lorry, carrying mo
POLICE are still trying to piece together the exact sequence of events which led to a multi-vehicle crash on the M11 near to Stansted Airport yesterday afternoon (Thursday).
The incident happened about 5pm when a large Volvo articulated lorry, carrying motor vehicle parts, lost control and collided with the central reservation barrier and overturned.
A grey Peugeot car also overturned, another Peugeot and a BMW who were travelling in the opposite direction were struck by the lorry. Another car suffered a puncture driving through debris.
Police are considering that there was another car involved that failed to stop at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
Three people received serious injuries, including the 54-year-old lorry driver from Basildon, who was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow with deep cut to his head, possible broken shoulder and broken ribs.
A 26-year old male passenger in one of the Peugeots, who is from Forest Gate, East London received hand and foot injuries and also went to PAH.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 7 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
The driver of the other Peugeot, a 59-year-old man from Cambridge, was treated at the scene for bruising and cuts. Other drivers were treated for shock and minor injuries.
The crash occurred near to Junction 8 on the southbound carriageway and traffic was diverted up to the roundabout while the road was closed to clear debris, arrange recovery of the vehicles and clear the carriageway of a large diesel spillage.
A lamppost was also struck and wires exposed. Some lanes were reopened about 6.30pm but the road was not fully reopened until this morning (Friday).
Any witnesses are asked to contact Chigwell Road Policing officers on 0300 333 4444.
# DID you see what happened? You can e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org or you can text us on the move via your mobile phone. You can send us video, audio, pictures and text up to 1MB in size via your mobile. Simply send your text message to 078 4350 0911.
Your message needs to begin with the words MEDIA SAFFRON. Please submit your details as well as what the message is about. Remember that network MMS/SMS charges will apply.