ESSEX: Pre-school children get to see new-born lamb
IT was a special day at a pre-school when Smudge, a five-day-old lamb, and Floss the sheepdog visited the children from a farm in Hildersham. The children at Ashdon Pre-school have been looking at the topic of new life and life cycles and were very excite
IT was a special day at a pre-school when Smudge, a five-day-old lamb, and Floss the sheepdog visited the children from a farm in Hildersham.
The children at Ashdon Pre-school have been looking at the topic of new life and life cycles and were very excited to see a real lamb, just like the lamb in the story they have been reading.
Supervisor Sue Cowling said: "It was an excellent opportunity for the children to discover new challenges and to learn about how to look after animals.
"The experience also enabled them to develop knowledge and understanding of the world, their confidence and self esteem.
You may also want to watch:
"All the children felt Smudge was very friendly and found it very funny when she was interested in smelling their shoes."
The children got to watch the lamb drink milk from a bottle and ask questions about her care. One child was particularly interested in the type of milk she was drinking. Everybody got the chance to stroke Smudge to discover whether she was soft or rough.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 4 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 5 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 9 Saffron Walden artist designs George Orwell book covers
- 10 Auction stations - former telephone exchange is up for grabs