Essex: Professional cricketer charged with conspiracy to defraud
A 22-YEAR-OLD professional cricketer has today (September 16) been charged by Essex Police with conspiracy to defraud under common law and will appear at Magistrates Court in London next week.
FORMER Essex cricketer Mervyn Westfield has today been charged with conspiracy to defraud following an investigating into betting irregularities during a match.
The 22-year-old from Chelmsford was arrested in May along with team mate Danish Kaneria as part of an investigation into an Essex Pro40 win against Durham last September.
The allegations related to spot-fixing - a practice in which money is placed on individual details and passages of play during a match.
Pakistan leg-spinner Kaneria was cleared of the allegations earlier this month and has been released from bail without charge.
You may also want to watch:
But the Crown Prosecution Service’s central fraud group has announced today that they have charged Westfield with conspiracy to defraud.
He has been bailed until September 23 when he will appear before City of London Magistrates’ Court
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 4 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 5 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 6 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
Antony Swift, reviewing lawyer for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “I have advised that Mervyn Westfield should be charged with one count of conspiracy to defraud for intentionally playing other than to the best of his ability, contrary to his contractual obligations.
“It is alleged that he dishonestly agreed to bowl his first over to allow the scoring of a certain number of runs at a match between Durham and Essex on September 5 2009.
“I have made this decision after careful consideration of a file of evidence from Essex Police. There is sufficient evidence to prosecute Mr Westfield and it is in the public interest to do so.”
During the 40-over match under scrutiny Westfield conceded 60 runs in seven overs against Durham, with four wides and two no-balls.
It is understood that the police investigation, which started in March, was triggered by allegations from other players within the Essex team.