Essex pupils shoe support for Samaritan's Purse appeal
PUPILS at Henham and Ugley Primary School got into the giving mood by donating shoeboxes to some of the poorest children in the world. An impressive 52 boxes filled with gifts and goodies were collected by the school, which took part in the Samaritan s Pu
PUPILS at Henham and Ugley Primary School got into the giving mood by donating shoeboxes to some of the poorest children in the world.
An impressive 52 boxes filled with gifts and goodies were collected by the school, which took part in the Samaritan's Purse Operation Child appeal.
The boxes were picked up by the organisation last week. They will be processed, loaded into a delivery van and shipped to help communities in need in Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
Acting deputy headteacher at the school, Helen Coop, said: "To collect as many boxes as we did was fantastic, and we are very pleased.
You may also want to watch:
"We have collected money for other charities in the past but this is a very special charity to support because it is something very personal to each pupil.
"They each chose to fill a shoebox for a child of a similar age group and gender - so a seven-year-old pupil would have had to think about what another child of similar age in another country would want.
- 1 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 2 Covid-19 breaches at Stansted Airport
- 3 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 4 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 5 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 6 Essex: Climate change top priority for residents
- 7 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 8 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 9 Fun for virtual World Book Day 2021
- 10 Film festival to screen heart-warming movie as part of online series
"It was also great because the children enjoyed doing it - the whole family were involved in thinking about what should go in the box and then they had to decorate it really well."
Operation Christmas Child is the world's largest children's Christmas project, a Christian relief initiative to help communities in need in Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
For more information about Samaritan's Purse visit www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk